Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dr. Mike's Power Cookie

I have been anticipating this cookie since I first read the recipes in the book.  I wanted to be ready to make it when I got to the second cycle, so I started looking for the ingredients I didn't have on hand. I found everything except the flaxseed oil and almond paste.  They weren't at my two most frequented stores: Aldi and Wal-Mart.  I figured I could find them at Bi-Lo, Publix, or one of the specialty grocery stores. 

Today I decided I wanted to make the cookies, so I looked online and found a few different recipes for almond paste, and of course, decided to make the easiest one.  I had a bag of sliced almonds in the freezer which was 1 1/2 cups, and that was the amount called for in the recipe.  It also used 1 1/2 c. confectioners sugar, 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract, 1 egg white and 1/4 tsp. salt.  You grind the almonds in a food processor alone, then add the other ingredients and mix until it forms a paste.  It makes plenty, I froze 4 2 Tbsp. batches (the amount used in the cookie recipe) and had a 1/2 cup container left that I put in the refrigerator and will use for something in the next few weeks.

I did find the flaxseed oil at Bi-Lo, they had one bottle on the shelf and it was on sale for over $7.00.  The expiration date was 04/11 - I decided I didn't want to pay that much for something that was expiring this month.  So I thought I would make the cookies and just use canola oil - the recipe only calls for one Tbsp. of oil, so I didn't think it would make that much difference flavor wise.

This recipe has a lot of ingredients.  I decided at the last minute instead of substituting canola oil for the flaxseed oil, I would use sesame oil.  I also had to convert the 10 Truvia packets into a bulk amount, because I bought Truvia in a container.  The way I figured it, 10 packets equals 3 Tbsp. I gathered all the ingredients and made the cookies!





I was surprised at the consistency of the cookie dough, it was rather thin for cookie dough and sticky.  The recipe is supposed to make 18 cookies and that's what I had - not all the same size, but I had 18.




The finished product!  There are 17 cookies on the plate, because I had to sample one.  It was quite dense and very filling.  One cookie is definitely all you need for a snack and will make a nice breakfast with milk and maybe an orange or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment